What is Invisalign?
The Invisalign is a virtually invisible treatment system which uses an innovative approach to straighten the teeth.It uses a series of custom-made removable aligners manufactured only for you incorporating unique SMARTForce technology which gradually moves your teeth into ideal position.
How does Invisalign Work
Knowing more about what to expect during the treatment process can help you be more confident in your decision to transform your smile. Here are the steps of the Invisalign treatment process after you and your doctor decide that Invisalign treatment is right for you.
Initially, your Invisalign-trained doctor will take photos, X-rays, and digital scans or a dental impression to help create your treatment plan.
The maker of Invisalign clear aligners will then use these records, along with the treatment prescribed by your doctor to create a customised 3D treatment plan just for you. With the treatment plan, you’ll be able to see the final position your teeth are predicted to reach after treatment. This treatment plan is used to develop your customised aligners and also estimate the likely length of your treatment.
The customised aligners will be manufactured and shipped to your doctor’s office.
Your series of custom-made aligners will be given to you (typically 3-4 sets at a time) for you to wear everyday and change them at home every 2 weeks.
You’ll be visiting your Invisalign-trained doctor approximately every 6-8 weeks to monitor the progress of your treatment and receive the next series of aligners.
After you’ve finished your Invisalign aligner treatment, you may need to use retainers to help make sure the new position of your teeth is maintained.
One of the best things about Invisalign treatment is the minimal impact it has on your everyday life. Invisalign aligners are more comfortable and barely noticeable, so you can wear them and still do the things you love.
Confidence to be yourself
Since Invisalign aligners are barely noticeable, you can be yourself and don’t have to hide your smile while going through treatment.
Freedom to celebrate
With Invisalign treatment, it’s easy to make your smile picture-perfect for that special occasion.
Potentially fewer doctor visits
Invisalign treatment appointments work with your schedule. Most visits are in-and-out, with a quick progress check once every 6-8 weeks.
Eat your favourite food
Craving for a snack? No problem. Since Invisalign aligners are removable, you have the freedom to eat, chew and drink whatever you like.
Maintain good oral health
Oral hygiene is a lot easier to upkeep because Invisalign aligners are removable, letting you brush and floss your teeth regularly.
Keep an active lifestyle
Lead an active lifestyle? Invisalign treatment lets you continue wearing your aligners without having to worry about sharp brackets cutting your mouth.
Can Invisalign help me fix my teeth
Many think that Invisalign aligners only work for minor teeth straightening issues but the Invisalign System can also be used to treat a range of moderate to severe teeth straightening issues.
This occurs due to lack of room within your jaw for all of your teeth to fit normally.
Widely spaced teeth
This occurs due to excessive space between your teeth.
This occurs when upper and lower jaws are misaligned.
Deepbite occurs when the upper teeth bite over the lower teeth.
This occurs when the upper teeth doesn’t overlap the lower teeth causing a gap.
Underbite occurs when the lower teeth protrude past the upper front teeth.
Invisalign VS Braces
While the end results can appear the same – a confident, beautiful smile – there are advantages to the Invisalign System. Here, we show you the different features for each treatment process to help you with your decision.
- Invisalign aligners are nearly invisible so it’s difficult for others to notice the treatment
- Most patients may feel pressure on the teeth in the early stage when starting with the first few Invisalign aligners.
- Invisalign aligners are removable. You can remove them before eating/drinking and easily brush and floss to maintain good oral hygiene.
- Approximately 6-8 weeks between doctor visits.
- Invisalign treatment allows you to visualise each stage of the treatment process, from the beginning to the end, giving you a clearer picture of the treatment duration.
- The wires and brackets of traditional braces are visible.
- Most patients may feel pain each time braces are adjusted. The metal brackets may also irritate the mouth and cause ulcers.
- Braces are fixed and not removable during the teeth straightening treatment. This makes it difficult to eat certain types of food (e.g. apples, nuts) and it can be difficult to clean and floss your teeth with the braces in.
- Approximately 3-4 weeks between doctor visits.
- Traditional braces can only give you an estimate of the duration of treatment at the beginning of the treatment process.
Meet the Doctor
Dr. Salman Khan, M.D.S
- Chief Orthodontist & Dentofacial Orthodopaedician
- Certified Global Invisalign Provider
- Certified Lingual Orthodontics Specialist (AIIMS, New Delhi)
- Certified Self Ligation Specialist
- Fellow - World Federation of Orthodontists
- International Member - American Association of Orthodontists